Monday 7 March 2011

A New Lent Challenge.

Having found I could no longer tease my vegan friend for her strong and admirable dedication to animal rights, as I could no longer think of any good reasons for eating meat, I decided that Lent 2010 would be a 40 day meat free challenge. On day 41 (the end of lent) I decided not to go back, I had no good reason to eat meat other than I USED to enjoy it. Now a year later and I have barely looked back, I cant even cook meat for my carnivorous partner!!!! A month ago I was pounding a very 'healthy' steak for my beloved, with the hope of giving him a delicous culinary treat only to find myself crying over and praying for the poor life of the cow!!!! What a phenomenal life change!!!

So Lent 2011 is on its way and I thought, 'This is a great opportunity for another life changing give up.' But WHAT?? What shall I give up this time?

Well after a lot of contemplation and some really rubbish ideas like chocolate (as if) and Yorkshire Tea (impossible), I decided on ...........plastic packaging!!!!!!!!!

Then I realised .......oh...... actually that it is going to be REALLY hard.

So here are the rules of my 40 days without plastic packing.

  • No plastic food packaging - (if desperate I can only get the packaging that I can upcycle, if that isnt possible I have to go without).
  • No plastic bags (obviously).
  • Essentials such as toothpaste - (research and source non-plastic packaged products, if they dont exist make current supplies strech further).
  • No luxury shopping items made from or with plastic on them - (no excuses).

This is going to be a toughy and I am sure that more things, I havnt even thought about, will crop up as I go along. I intend for this challenge to develop into an exploration of alternatives to plastic packaging and a permanent change in my own personal consumer behaviour.

I would be really pleased to for suggestion and feedback and hope you enjoy the challenge.
Watch this space......!!!

Love and hugs,

Jade

3 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea Jade! I will follow your blog eagerly!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does that include no polyester in clothes? D: Good luck Jade! I look forward to hearing how it goes ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes John, I am afraid it does include polyester clothes, unless I am buying them second hand. Most of my clothes I get as hand me ons or from charity shops. It will be shoes and outdoor gear that will be problem.

    ReplyDelete